INDC Journal

« Chlorine Truck Bomb Attack on CMOC (UPDATED again) | Main | Reconciling Insurgents »

March 30, 2007
"The USMC/Iraqi team was sluggin' it out side by side." (Chlorine Gas Attack Update)

Posted by Bill

Lt. Col. Clayton Fisher, commander of Military Transition Team (MiTT) 6 at the brigade level (and my chaperone on an IA mission) was injured in Wednesday's chlorine truck bomb attack on the Fallujah Government Center and left this comment:

We wanted you to know that your Marine MITTs and IA [Iraqi Army -- ED] came out OK and did great, even after 2 SVBIEDs [Suicide Vehicle-Borne IEDs] , mortars, complex attack etc. Most walking wounded, but hey, we're walking! A few of us were medevac'd to the outskirts of Baghdad, but should come out fine in a few days. Chlorine gas, concussions, some shrapnel, cuts, bruises. Not too bad.

As for the IAs, they proved themselves. The jundi did a great job and pretty much stopped the initial attack as the insurgents were trying to shoot/ram their way inside. The IA and IP [Iraqi Police] figured it out and opened up on them, causing them to set off at the gates or just outside the buildings, vice inside where it would have been worse. Still too close than most would like, but it will do. After all "shook it off," we got most of us out of the rubble and the gas, did a head-count, realized there were still some back in. All rubble, smoke and chlorine gas, hard to see what was what, and of course you can't breathe. So of course, we ran back in it. Got to find those guys. It was not pretty but, we got them all out, to include a few guys you know. They are good now. We then got a US/IA triage and casualty system working. The chlorine thing is a whole other conversation.

And then those of us still standing, most wounded and gassed, ran back in again, slugged it out and fended off the counter attacks and any exploitation the insurgents were trying to get started. Many refused to be medevac'd during the fight. The USMC/Iraqi team was sluggin' it out side by side. Something to see. US Marines and Jundi still gasping for air, fighting side by side. Some jundi still in their sleeping sweats or shower sandals refusing to be evacuated, fighting back with their AKs and PKCs into enemy positions. Yes, some of these jundi got what it takes.

I'd like to say "Bill, you should have been there!" but no, I'd prefer you were not this time. After things settled down a bit, we built the defense back up, got most the wounded out, US and IA reinforcements came in to shore things up. After all was on the mend, the endorphins and adrenaline finally wore off, we realized we were a bit of a mess, our work was done for now and finally agreed to be medevac'd out also. Walked out carrying our shield, not on it.

Well that's kind of it. Everyone is OK as can be. Marines and Jundi alike did well. I thought folks in the USA should know.

ready2go-17-Jan-07.jpg
Major Christopher Marise, Lt. Col. Clay Fisher and Major Joel Poudrier of MiTT 6 at the Fallujah Government Center prior to going on a raid back in January.

During Wednesday's attack, Marise and Fisher went back into the gas and rubble and retrieved Poudrier, who was initially knocked out in the blast. All are ok, though hospitalized and recuperating.

Posted by Bill at March 30, 2007 07:18 AM | TrackBack (11)

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

God bless them and keep them safe.

Posted by: Flea at March 30, 2007 08:49 AM

Yes, our prayers are with you. Thanks for your courage, sacrifice and service. Can't imagine what it must be like to go thru such an attack, but glad to hear that IRaqi's fought side by side with you.

May God protect and keep you safe.

Posted by: Michael at March 30, 2007 10:03 AM

Thank you for your phenomenal bravery. My family and I are so grateful for your courage and sacrifice. We know you are turning things around in Iraq and, if allowed to do your jobs, will win n Iraq. It's too bad the Democrats in congress can't or won't see the progess you are making and the importance of your mission to our country's continued freedom.

Posted by: Greg Hanchett at March 30, 2007 11:17 AM

Good information , korean war veteran 31st infantry rct ......chosin res. veteran 1950 -51

Posted by: charles bielecki at March 30, 2007 11:32 AM

We are so proud of you, so in awe of all that you do and so grateful for your unselfish service to your fellow men and women, and to our country. And to the IA, keep it up! God bless you all, and be safe.

Posted by: Esther at March 30, 2007 12:27 PM

Good job guys! Way to get the IA/IP's up to snuff.

Posted by: Marcus at March 30, 2007 01:12 PM

Thank you for sharing the story of our brave guys! We are so thankful that everything is okay. I hope that everyone keeps these guys and all of the service members in their thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: Erin at March 30, 2007 01:39 PM

Support our troops by not putting them in harm's way! If there's one thing you all need to learn from the UN, it's to never send soldiers anywhere that isn't completely safe!

Posted by: SockMonkey at March 30, 2007 02:30 PM

Good job mates. It's horrific, but you all make every one of us proud. I admire your strength, courage, and willingness to do what has to be done without whining and moaning. Our prayers are with all of you every day.

Posted by: Karron at March 30, 2007 02:45 PM

Way to go, guys. Good to hear positive news about the IA and IP, too. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

THANK YOU.

Posted by: Jingo at March 30, 2007 02:46 PM

Thanks for the news. Glad to hear that the IA has progressed. God bless you all.

Posted by: Army Mom at March 30, 2007 03:00 PM

Ooh-rah, Marines! You guys keep the faith, teach the Iraqis how to do the same,and the rest of us will find SOME way to shame the damn politicos into admitting the truth - - that you are winning.

Semper Fi, Mac.

Posted by: Grunt_01 at March 30, 2007 03:01 PM

Sockmonkey: If a place is completely safe, why would we need to send any soldiers there? And as far as the UN, there's a fine line between prudent decisions and inaction due to disagreement.
Let's hope more news like this gets out to the general public! Good job!

Posted by: donna at March 30, 2007 03:01 PM

Great work by REAL Americans. You guys keep on fighting the enemy over there and we'll keep on fighting the emeny (democraps) here at home.

Posted by: tnv at March 30, 2007 03:15 PM

FWIW, I've met Marines who are democrats. Ironically, one was almost certainly involved in this attack, though I haven't specifically verified his presence at the time.

Posted by: Bill from INDC at March 30, 2007 03:23 PM

When I read "Band of Brothers" in the late 1990's, I wondered, "How were we so lucky to have such men in our time of need?!"

With our men and women now in Afghanistan and Iraq, I find myself again and again reading of incidents such as this one, and asking once again, "How are we so lucky to have such amazing troops in our time of need!?"

Thanks to you all. You will prevail in helping the Iraqis build free society and a government of laws.

Posted by: Steve Rosenbach at March 30, 2007 03:49 PM

Men! Real Men! Great job. These guys came from right here in the US of A. They trained the jundis who fought so bravely also. Where we can't put Real Men ourselves from our own country, we train Real Men who will fight for their own piece of ground.

Well done, USMC Devil Dogs and IA/IP Jundis. When you look in the dictionary under Men, that's the photos you will see.

Press on, gents.

Subsunk

Posted by: Subsunk at March 30, 2007 04:22 PM

Bill wrote:

"FWIW, I've met Marines who are democrats..."

Yes, you have a point there. I've read that about 25% of military service personnel are Democrats. Not all the Democrats in Fort LivingRoom are trying to undermine the troops and their mission, there are some Democrats that know better. I'm afraid they are a minority of the party these days.

Posted by: Steve-o at March 30, 2007 04:45 PM

I almost didn't write, but, just in case these good men read here, I want to say, thank you and may God watch over you as he was on this day.

Posted by: kat-missouri at March 30, 2007 05:42 PM

God bless and keep you.

Posted by: Moneyrunner at March 30, 2007 06:42 PM

I would just like to echo what others have said. Well done and thank you.

Posted by: jeff city kid at March 30, 2007 08:21 PM

Thank you for your service.

I'm curious: What, specifically, are the effects of a chlorine gas attack?

Posted by: Reggie at March 30, 2007 10:06 PM

Thanks for sharing the good news, glad that everyone is safe.
God bless all of you, thankyou and the Iraqis for your bravery and service.
We know that you are winning!

Posted by: dianaintx at March 30, 2007 10:28 PM

Thank you for everything that you do. Defending US interests and a burgeoning democracy will make the world a safer place. Do not let the disgraceful tactics of politicians discourage you; your efforts are appreciated by the vast majority of America who believe you are in every way American heroes.
Thank you and Godspeed.........

A Very Grateful American

Posted by: Grateful American at March 30, 2007 10:32 PM

you guys rule!!!!
no soldiers?..... no America.
thank you.

Posted by: boston steve. at March 30, 2007 10:34 PM

I am so appreciative for all you are doing for my family and me. Do you all realize how many of us would like to give you all a great big hug or handshake? Just know we are with you and support you all the way. You all are America's Finest - keep makin us proud.

Posted by: Mark Hilgers at March 30, 2007 10:50 PM

Thanks for all you do. You bring tears to my eyes; for the sacrifice that you make every minute of every day. Sempre fi.

Posted by: carl weber at March 30, 2007 11:06 PM

Kick ass, boys!!!!!

Posted by: Steady at March 30, 2007 11:11 PM

My deepest gratitude to you all. I can't tell you how much I appreciate what you're doing, your dedication. Victory will be had, and we'll have you to thank for it -- once again.

Posted by: Rein at March 30, 2007 11:11 PM

Isn't chlorine gas a chemical weapon also known as a WMD. Since the liberals think Bush lied about WMD's, I wonder where these came from.

Posted by: Jim at March 30, 2007 11:29 PM

Thanks for your service, God bless our military wherever they are.

Posted by: Subvet at March 31, 2007 12:01 AM

On March 17th, I was at The Wall counterprotesting the moonbat anti-war socialists. There was Soviet and Cuban music coming from their rally. Over by the flag, there were 4-6 people on their knees taking turns polishing the brass pedestal, while some old Top was pointing out the dull areas with an axe handle. It was obvious to me that one group wants to tear the country down, and another is willing to fight, work and polish to maintain it.

The majority of folks in this country are behind y'all 100%.

Keep creating hell on earth for the bad guys.

God Bless America!

Posted by: Arlo at March 31, 2007 12:08 AM

This is quite a story. All I can say is thank you for enduring hell so that I don't have to. Truly brave folks.

Posted by: CanuckInMI at March 31, 2007 12:17 AM

Great job Leathernecks! Keep giving them hell! If you come back through Pendleton the drinks are on me! Get Some!

Semper Fi!

Posted by: MNF-W SWO OIF 05-07 at March 31, 2007 12:44 AM

God Bless You all out there and God Bless America.
Many thanks from all my family for all you do every day!

Posted by: Witold at March 31, 2007 12:47 AM

Heroes the lot of ya !

Posted by: DMills at March 31, 2007 12:52 AM

Grateful and proud.

Posted by: mikulla at March 31, 2007 01:29 AM

May God protect our Marines,
I thought I heard there were no WMD's in Iraq.
Then what the Hell is Chlorine Gas but a chemical
agent? Last time I heard Chemical Agents are WMDS. But I guess that fact is forgotten.
Our prayers are with all US Forces.
Mylo

Posted by: Mylo Henderson at March 31, 2007 01:35 AM

I kind of hold my manhood cheap after reading that.
Come home in one piece.
Battle scars are mega cool though.

Posted by: papertiger at March 31, 2007 01:40 AM

I'm still croggled at chlorine gas being shrugged of as "ain't nothin' but a thing" on par with bumps & scrapes. Semper Fi, Colonel, and thank you for all that you do to keep the action over there instead of here!

Posted by: Cybrludite at March 31, 2007 02:01 AM

We're focused through your example, ispired by your bravery and thrilled by your success,-- including, especially, the training, teaching and mentoring an IA increasing in both numbers and in skills, We're proud of all of you--and bless you all

Posted by: NoOilforPacifists at March 31, 2007 02:13 AM

God Bless the U.S. and Iraqi forces. We are proud of you. Words are never enough. You guys rock :-)

Posted by: Dan Law at March 31, 2007 03:02 AM

God bless every single one of you. American or Iraqi, God bless you.

Posted by: Scott Jacobs at March 31, 2007 03:05 AM

I'm awed by the bravery and strength of real men. The comparison between each and every one of you to the gutless Congressional Democrats is striking. Bravery vs. cowardliness, honesty vs. lying, strength vs. weakness -- that's the difference between our real men in Iraq and the wimps Congress. God bless you and thank you.

Posted by: Deb Durkee at March 31, 2007 05:57 AM

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME. JUST AMAZING!!!! AND I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR ABOUT THE IRAQI'S WORKING HAND AND HAND WITH YOU GUYS. I AM PROUD OF THEM ALSO.
ALL OF YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS EVERY NIGHT AND WITH GOD ON YOUR TEAM THERE'S NO WAY TO LOSE. HE IS WITH YOU EVERY DAY ON EVERY MISSION.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND I THANK THE IRAQI'S FOR WORKING SO WELL WITH YOU FOR EVERYONES BENEFIT.
GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.

Posted by: Emily Cinicola at March 31, 2007 06:13 AM

Great job-I admire people like them, and I hope they stay safe:)

Posted by: mindya abraham at March 31, 2007 06:38 AM

God Bless you all. The legend of the USMC lives on. God Bless America.

Posted by: Joseph Bshero at March 31, 2007 07:38 AM

Thank you for your heroic service! Our family is praying for you! May God bless you and keep you safe.

Posted by: JJ at March 31, 2007 07:40 AM

I deeply wish they keep safe and well, and as brave as usual. We spanish are deeply concerned about our coward and betrayer government, and hope America will be the wall against barbarians in this sick Europe. God bless you.

Posted by: Argonaut at March 31, 2007 07:46 AM

Thanks so much for being there

Posted by: Cor, from Vienna Austria at March 31, 2007 08:00 AM

THANK YOU all for all you are doing to keep us safe!!
I pray every day for your welfare and safe return home.
God bless you always for the wonderful heroes you are.
I am so ashamed for the Dems in Congress who are making your
very difficult job even harder by their oh so political rhetoric.
Be assured that we,the citizens of America, appreciate your sacrifices and understand your patriotism.
With prayers and best wishes for you all,
Sharon Knopping
Milford,Ma

Posted by: Sharon Knopping at March 31, 2007 08:18 AM

You and your men are our Heroes! The only thing between the Islamo-Nazis and us is you. Thank You! God Bless You!

Posted by: Jon Fisher at March 31, 2007 08:49 AM

This is the best way I know to thank our troops!

Posted by: Craigbe at March 31, 2007 09:25 AM

I am quite sure sockmonkey was kidding. I could never be so proud as I am now, Americans fighting for freedom, not our own, but another's. I do understand what is involved, we fight or lose. Thank God for those able and willing to stand up for what is right, and such a pity so few understand why. It is not about money, we will secure or die trying. God bless those that try.

Posted by: Robert at March 31, 2007 09:32 AM

There is no greater service in Heaven or on Earth, that these great men and women can do. Many will look back on this time, and smile and be honored to have seen such galantry from so many to help the weak, sick, young and old, from these Fanatics. God Bless them all.

Posted by: David W at March 31, 2007 09:41 AM

History will look back on all of the brave men and women fighting in Iraq and say the cause and the mission was indeed honorable and brave. You make it easier for me to rest at night knowing your work ethic and desire to get the job done...Countless thanks to you all!!
Not everyone understands the stakes:
....From Daniel Pipes:
"In nearly all cases, the jihadi terrorists have a patently self-evident ambition: to establish a world dominated by Muslims, Islam, and the Shari’a (Islamic law). Or, again to cite the Daily Telegraph, their 'real project is the extension of the Islamic territory across the globe, and the establishment of a worldwide ‘caliphate’ founded on Shari’a law.'"

Posted by: mcoburn at March 31, 2007 10:14 AM

You guys over there make me proud to be an American. You are doing an incredible job. Thanks for all you are doing to keep us and the Iraqi people safe. I continue to pray for your safety and your success in winning this war which I know you can. And to the Iraqi people, don't give up trying to win your democracy. It is worth fighting for. You are all heroes!

Posted by: Cindy Anderson at March 31, 2007 10:42 AM

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICES AND WAY YOU FIGHT THE FIGHT. THE CONGRESS MAY BE BACKSTABBING; BUT THE MAJORITY OF THE US PUBLIC ARE BEHIND YOU! THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL FOR PROTECTING US!

Posted by: Lila Churilla at March 31, 2007 10:51 AM

Thank you for tending the tree of freedom. While I rest in its shade, you are expanding its canopy so the world may feel its comfort.

Posted by: John Eskald at March 31, 2007 11:22 AM

Thankyou.
My daughter's planning to join the NAVY. I am proud she wants to be part of our US military, the finest bunch of people out country has to offer. You guys are outstanding examples.
Thankyou.

Posted by: mike kretsch at March 31, 2007 11:25 AM

Sempre Fi Marines and ooh rah Iraqis, professional job well done from on old Army 1sg.

Posted by: BillB at March 31, 2007 11:41 AM

Hang tight guys and keep up the good fight. There are a bunch of us here who thank you for the efforts you all are making and the sacrifices as well. God Bless.

Posted by: Rory Flood at March 31, 2007 11:49 AM

My most sincere Thanks to you all.

Ron Hamric
USMC 60-64

Posted by: RonH at March 31, 2007 12:04 PM

The survival of my children and my grandchildren are in the hands of men like Lt. Col. Clayton Fisher. Knowing that, I have hope for the future. Without this courage, commitment, skill, we would be in tremendous peril. Fortunately for us the real work in this war on terror is being done by our sons and daughters, not our politicians, and I trust in the Fisher's of this world and I am eternally grateful.

Posted by: Andrea Welch at March 31, 2007 12:29 PM

This is such wonderful news. We who pray for you daily need to hear this. Thank you, thank you! You're doing the most important work on the face of this earth, and those who don't know it now, will one day realize it. God bless you now and always.

Posted by: Pamela at March 31, 2007 02:00 PM

Great Job you all are doing over there.
Keep up the good work. There are many of us who continue to support you.

Posted by: Dick Daugherity at March 31, 2007 02:33 PM

My God, what warriors! You make me proud to be an American! Keep up the good work and thank God for those Iraqi warriors, too - but you know it's your hard work training them that made the difference.

Posted by: Rachel in Tucson at March 31, 2007 04:03 PM

Good news. Much better than the S. Vietnamese troops on the whole.

Posted by: Chief RZ at March 31, 2007 07:49 PM

Semper Fi! Stay safe and God Bless You all. Thank you for fighting for freedom and love of country.

Posted by: Judi Holmes at March 31, 2007 08:03 PM

I am a Canadian, former soldier not much use now at 73. But you guys remind me of Korea. Marines and Iraqis together as warriors is inspiring and offsets the hypocrites in Washigton. George Bush will win this tussle of the democratic egos of some old men; their motive is not you winning but votes for themselves as I see it. F... 'em and fight on. Our Canadian troops are in Afghanistan, some from my famous D-Day regiment. You are protecting my seven grandchildren in Virginia and Texas and I congratulatr you for winning that very tough battle. I am grateful every day that US fighters are there. I thank you from the heart and and I pray for you daily.

Posted by: Peter at April 1, 2007 12:41 AM

I am a Canadian, former soldier not much use now at 73. But you guys remind me of Korea. Marines and Iraqis together as warriors is inspiring and offsets the hypocrites in Washigton. George Bush will win this tussle of the democratic egos of some old men; their motive is not you winning but votes for themselves as I see it. So fight on. Our Canadian troops are in Afghanistan, some from my famous D-Day regiment. You are protecting my seven grandchildren in Virginia and Texas and I congratulatr you for winning that very tough battle. I am grateful every day that US fighters are there. I thank you from the heart and and I pray for you daily.

Posted by: Peter Quinn at April 1, 2007 12:42 AM

Marine to Marine. Get well, keep safe and stay sharp. Way to get the job done Col. Semper Fi

Posted by: Joe Oct 83 at April 1, 2007 03:36 AM

Greetings from Germany! Our governments over here in Western Continental Europe, past and present, dither between appeasement and defeatism, but people start waking up. We're with you. Keep pushing.

Posted by: Generic German Guy at April 1, 2007 05:25 AM

May God bless you brave soldiers! We fully support you and thank you for fighting for our safety. We are praying for your safety and strength.

Posted by: DMR at April 1, 2007 08:57 AM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."--Edmund Burke.

"Decent people sleep quietly in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell

You Marines are doing extraordinary work and both the United States and Iraq are very lucky to have you defending us. Chesty Puller would be thinking that you guys might just actually measure up to the guys he led. Those of us sitting in the stands KNOW you do. Semper Fidelis, and know that real Americans are behind you 100%.

Thank you, and may God bless you and keep you safe!

Posted by: Mac at April 1, 2007 11:25 AM

It's guys like you who make me PROUD to be an American! We are with you and will always support you no matter what the buttheads in Congress do. Every time I see kids walking to school or old folks at the grocery store I think of you guys standing between us and those that would cut our throats in a heartbeat. I pray for you guys every day but I wish I could do more. God Bless You All!

Posted by: Chet Makowski at April 1, 2007 01:31 PM

Wow!! Nothing like getting the story first hand of what things are REALLY like. You guys are incredible and leave the rest of us speechless with how to show you proper thanks and admiration. I have a son that just went to Ramadi 3 weeks ago so I can't get enough of the REAL story like you have shared it. God speed to you all....Have at it!!

Posted by: Rod Oksuita at April 1, 2007 04:16 PM

You guys are great! Our country is very proud to have defenders like you.

Thanks to all of you.

Posted by: CCDriver at April 1, 2007 05:45 PM

Semper Fi, Devildogs! I am so thankful for our military and so proud of all of you. Keep on, keeping on!

Posted by: Chaotic Ramblings at April 2, 2007 02:51 PM

Thank you and God Bless all of our men and women..Keep doing a great job...Be safe and take care of yourselves...

Posted by: Jackie at April 3, 2007 07:32 PM

CLAY, THIS IS YOUR COUSIN MARK IN LOUISVILLE, KY. YOU GUYS KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND BE SAFE. JUST GET HOME SAFE

Posted by: MARK ROHRET at April 4, 2007 02:32 AM

[Comment deleted because it is rambling, harsh and off topic, not because dissent is being crushed. Go elsewhere and vent your personal and political anger, this post is not the forum for it. -- ED]

Posted by: Charlie at April 4, 2007 10:48 PM

I'm from Clay's home town and heard about the event through the rumor mill in town. I decided to google him to see if there was an update on his condition and I found a note from him. How awesome! You're in our prayers here and God Bless you all. Thank you for all of your selfless acts of greatness!

Posted by: Mary Herra Heineman at April 7, 2007 08:29 AM

ndcztaqm sdgveumrc atesy yxiozm qsrcjfnlu jnokla lsqnvgbd

Posted by: ktxw idrzoyjac at April 7, 2007 04:47 PM

Get well, Lt. Col. Fisher and all. While I don't support your reason for being there, I support you 110%.

Posted by: Regan Mack at April 7, 2007 06:25 PM

Hey, Lt. Col Fisher.......that's the"KANELAND" Spirit!!!! So glad to hear a home town boy is fighting for our freedom!
God bless you and all the others protecting us. We support you 100%! Come home soon.
John, Donna, Steve, Shelley, Shari and Suzanne Almburg

Posted by: JOHN AND DONNA ALMBURG at April 9, 2007 12:55 PM

Hey to Lt. Col Fisher from another Kaneland Grad!! Incredible actions getting Poudrier out of the gas! Hope you enjoy a speedy recovery.

Stay sharp, stay safe!!!

Posted by: Jon Whiteside at April 9, 2007 09:38 PM

To our American and Coalition Soldiers and the brave Iraqis who are fighting the evil terrorists-YOU ARE THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD - CHIVALRY - the qualities of BRAVERY (dauntless, fearless, gutsy, courageous, valiant) & COURTESY (considerate) of THE IDEAL KNIGHT - marked by GALLANTRY (spirited, courageous, majestic & stately) & HONOR (reputaion, PERSONAL INTEGRITY (strict adherence to a standard of value or conduct, personal honsty & independence).
May you feel God and all His Angels protecting you. GOOD always conquers evil because of people like you....

Posted by: audrone (audrey) kizys at April 14, 2007 01:19 AM

way to get em out there sir. im actually in a tent in the "deserts" of camp pendleton right now on alittle field op for a few weeks. come july im cutting out to train with my mitt team to deploy in december. i can only hope were lucky enough to be under the command of someone like yourself sir. goodluck out there.

Semper Fi,