INDC Journal

Part Two
| Main | Daybreak in the City of Mosques »

January 02, 2007
Where in the ...

Posted by Bill

wileygoggles.jpg

I just got back from a first mounted patrol/IED hunt in and around Fallujah. It was interesting, long and uneventful in the violent sense, though another patrol was hit by two IED's as we headed back to base. No serious injuries, some rattled nerves and superficial damage to Humvees, thankfully.

But don't let my leading drama monopolize you: it's almost odd how "normal" operations seem here, with folks just doing their jobs, calmly and professionally. The food is good and morale seems high. The number one answer to "How do you like being a Marine?" is "I love it, sir." (Non-random sample size of 4 respondents, the results of this poll should not be considered scientific)

I'll have a pictorial post documenting my day with "the Gators," the Marines of Bravo Company, 2nd Assault Amphibious Battalion, up soon, but a few quick impressions: these Marines are professional, they work really, really hard, and most of them are unusually good-natured and funny; at least half the positive experience of today was listening to them bust each other's balls. Great guys.

I'm pressed for time with the embed schedule, as first thing tomorrow morning I head out for a 3-5 day stint with a Police Transition Team advising the local Fallujah police. I'm coasting in Bill Roggio's wake for my first two embed slots, and hope to augment his superb analysis with some human interest angles and pictorials. Therefore, it may be at least a day or two before any substantive posts.

sunsetfallujah.jpg

Please support citizen journalism, as you are willing and able.

If you'd prefer to donate via check, please e-mail me and I'll provide you mailing instructions. Thank you for your support.

UPDATE: Quote modified for accuracy.

Posted by Bill at January 2, 2007 02:03 PM | TrackBack (3)

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Bill, love your photos, your great interviews and those graphic descriptions. My heart beats more rapidly as I read your reports. Love, Grandma

Posted by: Eileen at January 2, 2007 04:40 PM

Bill, I think you are doing great work. Tell those soldiers a lady in Texas loves them ;-)

Posted by: Janelle at January 2, 2007 06:16 PM

Your doing an outstanding job, don't fret a timeline for us. Great Photo. You will soon come to know (first person) what a professional Military we have. Also, whats normal for them is because of not only their tours but because they recieve the best training of any Military, short of our SOF forces.

Pay attention to any instructions they give you and enjoy being there reporting for us average Americans.

We really appriciate it, and as soon as I can get a little ahead I'll hit your tip jar.

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

Posted by: Papa Ray at January 2, 2007 11:15 PM

My son Eric is serving in the unit you spent time with and I'd love to see your pictorial post. Thanks for writing about them :)

Jim

Posted by: Jim Huskey at January 3, 2007 08:08 AM

Send me your mailing address and I will send a check for a donation. I thirst for authentic news from Iraq and doubt that I am getting it from the major media

Posted by: Tom Buzbee at January 3, 2007 08:54 AM

Gator actually escorts my IED hunt team.

I thought this story looked familiar.

Good report.

Posted by: Eric at January 3, 2007 09:29 AM

+1 Original reporting

I Dugg your post Bill.

Digg This

Posted by: Gabriel Sutherland at January 3, 2007 11:16 AM

I'm one of commenter "Eric"s soldiers here in the Anbar province.

It'll be interesting to look back here to see your pictures and the rest of the report.

Posted by: Teflon Don at January 3, 2007 01:38 PM

Keep an eye out for them IPLO's attached to that Marine PTT team. (Police Transition Team) They are some bad dudes as far as i hear, especially the ones in Fallujah.

Posted by: J. Martinez at January 3, 2007 02:17 PM

Kick. Ass.

Posted by: Flea at January 3, 2007 07:25 PM

One of the services you could help perform is educating your readers about the difference among "soldiers." The Army has Soldiers, the Marine Corps has Marines, the Navy has Sailors, and the Air Force has Airmen.

I spent 30 years as a soldier and my experiance has been that each of the services members like to be recognized for what they are. They are different in organization, training, equipment,and uniform but with a common mission to protect and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy but Marines are not Sailors. The difference is that Sailors have tits tatooed on their backs while Marines have a tatoo for each payday.

Good luck to you and all our service men and women. You don't have to give a good report, just a true and accurate one. That is a standard all of our defenders have and one that all of our enemies do not.

Posted by: giangho at January 4, 2007 01:25 AM

In case you have missed it, AP got caught with another fabricated story yesterday.

Papa Ray

Posted by: Papa Ray at January 7, 2007 12:07 AM

My Son Cpl Tom Bagosy is serving with 3/12 curently doing patrols as a turret gunner when he is not dismounted, keep giving us the truth and not what the networks give us.

Posted by: Bob Bagosy at January 16, 2007 02:22 PM